February 14, 2012

Just Don't Eat Wheat

Run ons & all by: Anonymous at 11:23 AM
"Just don't eat Wheat." 
How hard could that be.  

When you first think Gluten Free or Celiac Disease, that is the thought that comes to mind.  

Then you do research and it is so much more than just wheat.  As if one could say "just wheat"...

You find pages and pages of lists like this one:


DON’T EAT THIS

Wheat in any form (includes white flour, all-purpose flour, wheat flour, pastry flour, cake flour, bread flour, spelt, emmer, farro, bulgur, durum, einkorn, couscous, wheat berries, farina, graham, kamut, matzo, semolina, wheat starch, triticale) and ingredients made from those items (bread, pasta, pizza dough, cakes, cookies, pies, breadcrumbs, croutons, etc). Soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, and other wheat-based sauces, unless specifically labeled gluten free. Seitan also contains wheat.

Barley this includes the grain itself and products made from barley malt: malt vinegar, barley malt syrup, malted milk, etc.

Rye

Beer unless it’s gluten free

Oats oats don’t inherently contain gluten, but are often cross-contaminated. Try certified gluten-free oats if you can tolerate them.


from Laura B. Russell, Notes from a Gluten Free Kitchen

 

THEN YOU DO MORE RESEARCH...


Modified Food Starch is GLUTEN
Modified starch, also called starch derivatives, are prepared by physically, enzymatically, or chemically treating native starch, thereby changing the properties of the starch.[1] Modified starches are used in practically all starch applications, such as in food products as a thickening agent, stabilizer or emulsifier; in pharmaceuticals as a disintegrant; as binder in coated paper. They are also used in many other applications.


This stuff is in EVERYTHING!!

Did you know wheat is in Wall Paper Paste, yeah...crazy...I know! It can all become very overwhelming. There were days were I wanted to throw every single item in my kitchen away. There were days when I just had to laugh at myself. And there were a few day that I really did just sit down and cry.

Being Gluten Free is more than just wheat. Wheat is more than just Wheat...It is vitamins, shampoo, and wall paper paste. I promise the first month is hard. Adjusting to anything is hard.
  • The first month of grocery shopping and weeding through your cabinets is time consuming.  
  • You may find yourself standing in the aisle at your local grocery store talking to a box of Uncle Ben's Rice.(NOT GF)  
  • Your husband may tell you that food is more important than him.  
  • Pinterest may become your best friend.


But, I also promise that it gets better.

Here is what I have learned about the DO NOT EAT LIST....practically every condiment, combined spice, and recipe staple is on the LIST.  Pinterest has great recipes---Everything from Ranch Dressing to Cream of Whatever Soup.  I actually like cooking, it is the cleaning after that has always been my downfall.  It is easier to make what I need than have to read all the tiny print and worry, or to call the 1-800 number.  Sometimes calling the 1-800 number will get you coupons :).  And lastly being Gluten Free isn't a death sentence.  It isn't horrible.  It is just different and it takes dedication, time, planning, and patience.


Photobucket



P.S.
This info is also on Laura B. Russell's website, it really helps to explain how once foods leave their natural or whole state, they can become glutened. I have just discovered her recipes and really look forward to trying a few. Please visit her site for information on her cookbook The Gluten Free Asian Kitchen.

BE SKEPTICAL

Once a food ventures from its original state, it is suspect. If there’s more than one ingredient listed on a package, read it. It may be perfectly safe, but you’ll need to do your homework before drawing that conclusion. Remember: the more additives, the harder it will be to decipher. Be on guard.

Examples:

Green tea is gluten free, but flavored teas could contain gluten, possibly in the form of barley malt sweetener.

A roasted turkey is gluten free. Sliced deli turkey could contain gluten as a binder.

Homemade salad dressing, made from olive oil, lemon juice, and fresh herbs is gluten free. Bottled salad dressings may contain gluten as a thickener.

Always check labels on soups and broths, candy, deli items, sauces and condiments, dairy products (ice cream, sour cream, buttermilk…can potentially contain gluten), anything packaged, processed, or “flavored”. Even prescription medications, vitamins, and supplements are at risk.

"Like what you see? Stay connected to receive the latest updates free!"
Like Me on Facebook Subscribe via RSS Feed Follow Me on Twitter Follow Me on G+

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


Kindly Bookmark and Share it:

Pin It
Thank You for taking the time to visit my blog, I hope to see you again. Leave me a comment and I will be sure to visit your blog as well!!

3 comments:

  1. I had to change my diet a number of years ago and had to learn to cook too. The best step I took was growing my own fruits, veg and herbs - homegrown food is a delight (and now I can eat everything again in moderation).

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Stevie from GardenTherapy.ca

    I have been contemplating a garden. Just not sure I am up for that challenge just yet.

    My soil is not soil at all it is pure white sand...it would take LOTS and LOTS of work...I can be lazy...

    Getting into the habit of cooking and keeping my kitchen clean three 3x a day is enough of a challenge at the moment...

    You have to understand, before all this, I only cooked {mostly microwaved} about 2x a week...now I actually cook close to 3 meals a day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We went gluten free almost 2 years ago. My sons 4 & 8 as well as myself have a gluten intolerance, so unfortunately we don't have a choice. I am grateful my husband can see a difference in our health and supports us completely. Our whole house is gluten free because I don't want to worry about every crumb I find being safe. We have a teenage son that could have easily lived on gluten before our diagnosis, he is supportive at home but the second he's out the door it's a gluten fest. My husband for the most part stays gluten free even when he goes out mostly because he wants to be able to kiss me and the boys when he gets home, cross-contaimination. I see alot of information out there that is hard to understand and isn't alway on the up and up. We've been unfortunate to have a mislabel issue, labeling it gluten free and then saying well it only has a very small amount of gluten in it. We were getting sick and I couldn't figure out what it was, so back to writing down everything we were doing and eatting. We also discovered our pets food was getting us sick. It can be downright HARD but in the end I feel it is worth it. We haven't eaten out in over a year the "gluten free" menus are not gluten free enough for us so I get to cook lots. I do freezer cooking and large batch like you said you do. It gives me a day off everyonce in a while. We enjoy our garden even my boys will help. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete

Thank You very much for taking the time to leave me a comment. Hope that you have a wonderful day :)

Alisha

 

About my Recipes

We are a gluten free family. All of our main meals are Gluten Free. When posting a recipe, I do not think it is necessary for me to write out Gluten Free for each ingredient. It should be assumed.

I double check ALL labels and packaging before I purchase anything. If you are going to safely provide a GF environment for yourself or your family, double even triple checking each product must become a standard for you as well.

Also, when I am cooking a meal that I have 'created' or cook often, I do not measure. If you have any questions about exact amounts, please leave a comment and I will try my best to answer.

If I am posting a recipe that has gluten in it I will then explain that...I do still purchase a few gluten items for my son and husband's lunches and snacks. However, gluten recipes will be very very rare.

I love Visitors

Recent Visitors

© 2011. All Rights Reserved | Going G-Free | Template by Blogger Widgets

Home | About | Top