January 25, 2012

Flour Tortillas

Run ons & all by: Alisha at 10:31 PM
I woke up today wanting a flour tortilla.  


I wanted one so bad I could almost smell it.

Today was a real lesson on  Instant Gratification.  I can no longer just hop in my mom-mobile and run to the corner taco place for a breakfast taquito.  Or open my cabinet and pull out my store bought pack of Mission Home Style Tortillas.   



Growing up in South Texas, I have become accustomed to eating certain foods and having specific foods at all times.  There is never a time that you open my cabinets and not find tortillas, taco and chalupa shells, and nacho chips.  I also always have cheddar cheese and at least 4 cans of refried beans.  These are a staple in my house.  I can make any number of meals in under 20 minutes if I have these items.

I woke up craving a Potato, Egg, and Cheese taquito.  I had the cheese, eggs, potatoes....but darn...No Flour Tortilla!



So, I googled "How-To make a Flour Tortilla".  Probably spent way too much time on YouTube.  Got off track watching a million and one other how-to videos and then found a gluten free recipe.  I didn't have the individual flours, but I did have a Bob's Red Mill all purpose mix, so I improvised.

2 cups Bob's Red Mill GF Flour
2 tsps xanthan gum
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp sugar
1¼ tsp salt
2 TBs vegetable or other shortening
¾ to 1 cup warm water

My dough was really wet and sticky so I ended up adding another 2 tsps of the flour, then I used the same mix of flour for rolling...I did a lot of rolling!!
I messed up several, burnt a few and under cooked one.  None of them were pretty round circles like you buy at the store.  But most of them tasted really, really good!!  It took me well over an hour from start to finish to make a little over 12 tortillas, but it was all totally worth it!

I may not get to satisfy my cravings instantly, but I know that I can learn to make whatever I'm craving!! Somehow knowing how much work work went into that tortilla made it taste sooo much better!!

On a side note:  My son thinks I am the best cook in the world!!  That was pretty awesome too...




"Like what you see? Stay connected to receive the latest updates free!"
Like Me on Facebook Subscribe via RSS Feed Follow Me on Twitter Follow Me on G+

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


Kindly Bookmark and Share it:

Pin It
Thank You for taking the time to visit my blog, I hope to see you again. Leave me a comment and I will be sure to visit your blog as well!!

0 Words of Wisdom:

Have any question? Feel Free To Post Below:

Thank You very much for taking the time to leave me a comment. Hope that you have a wonderful day :)

Alisha

 

About my Recipes

We are a gluten free family. All of our main meals are Gluten Free. When posting a recipe, I do not think it is necessary for me to write out Gluten Free for each ingredient. It should be assumed.

I double check ALL labels and packaging before I purchase anything. If you are going to safely provide a GF environment for yourself or your family, double even triple checking each product must become a standard for you as well.

Also, when I am cooking a meal that I have 'created' or cook often, I do not measure. If you have any questions about exact amounts, please leave a comment and I will try my best to answer.

If I am posting a recipe that has gluten in it I will then explain that...I do still purchase a few gluten items for my son and husband's lunches and snacks. However, gluten recipes will be very very rare.

I love Visitors

Recent Visitors

© 2011. All Rights Reserved | Going G-Free | Template by Blogger Widgets

Home | About | Top