January 1, 2012

TexMex Skillet

Run ons & all by: Alisha at 11:43 PM
I am soooo NOT Martha!

This is a one skillet meal to please a tight budget and limited cooking time/experience.


* You could make it super fancy and add chopped bell peppers, garlic, fresh tomatoes and chiles


  • 1 lb browned meat (ground beef, turkey, or chicken)
  • 1 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
  • 1 cup uncooked brown rice
  • 1 small yellow onion, chopped
  • 1/2 bag frozen corn (any variety)
  • 12oz can diced tomatoes with green chile peppers (save liquid)
  • 1 package taco seasoning
  • water to equal need amount for rice
This meal can be made in a slow cooker, but I am already dirtying my skillet to brown my beef, so I just make the whole thing in there.  (You must use a deep chicken fryer type of skillet)

Brown the meat.  I rinse the fat and drain about 3/4 way through cooking, then add onions, seasoning, and corn.

Drain the tomatoes into a large measuring device (will need 4 cups of liquid).


Dump Tomatoes and Rice into the skillet. 

Now in the tomato juice measuring bowl add the water to equal 4 cups.  A tiny bit extra doesn't hurt, but not enough is bad...unless you like crunchy rice.

Add liquid ----- stir all together-----cover---set on a medium heat---set timer for 30 minutes and walk away.

I always check mine at 30 minutes.  It most always needs a little more water and a stir, then I set the timer for 5-10 minutes later.  Usually takes about 45 minutes up to 1 hour to cook.  I have never had the best luck in cooking rice perfectly, so I am a little paranoid when cooking rice dishes...


Avery ate up all of my leftovers in her lunch the next day.  She said it was even better, although a little more spicy...good thing she likes food with a bit of kick to them.


"Like what you see? Stay connected to receive the latest updates free!"
Like Me on Facebook Subscribe via RSS Feed Follow Me on Twitter Follow Me on G+

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


Kindly Bookmark and Share it:

Pin It
Thank You for taking the time to visit my blog, I hope to see you again. Leave me a comment and I will be sure to visit your blog as well!!

0 Words of Wisdom:

Have any question? Feel Free To Post Below:

Thank You very much for taking the time to leave me a comment. Hope that you have a wonderful day :)

Alisha

 

About my Recipes

We are a gluten free family. All of our main meals are Gluten Free. When posting a recipe, I do not think it is necessary for me to write out Gluten Free for each ingredient. It should be assumed.

I double check ALL labels and packaging before I purchase anything. If you are going to safely provide a GF environment for yourself or your family, double even triple checking each product must become a standard for you as well.

Also, when I am cooking a meal that I have 'created' or cook often, I do not measure. If you have any questions about exact amounts, please leave a comment and I will try my best to answer.

If I am posting a recipe that has gluten in it I will then explain that...I do still purchase a few gluten items for my son and husband's lunches and snacks. However, gluten recipes will be very very rare.

I love Visitors

Recent Visitors

© 2011. All Rights Reserved | Going G-Free | Template by Blogger Widgets

Home | About | Top